Monday, March 23, 2009

Module 3

According to my Multiple Intelligence (MI) test I tend to be more inclined toward "spacial-visual" resources, followed closely by "music". (I scored 35 in spacial-visual, and 34 in musical tendencies). These scores were closely followed by my scores for "logical-mathematical" (32) and "interpersonal" (31) preferences. In preparing to complete this assignment, I took the MI test two times before fully understanding the need to first save the document, so I could submit it for credit. I found it interesting to see I had differing scores, not dramatic, but different. I recall the first time I rated my preferences using the MI test, spacial-visual remained the highest while interpersonal was a close second. I vividly recall being frustrated with the current events at work and home; feeling overwhelmed, as though I was letting others down. It appears the results can be impacted by the individual's mood, or sense of well-bling. I believe the MI test is a nice tool, but is only a rough guide to help direct learning.

Of note, I have always considered my self a visual learner, and even my peers and family are quick to verify this. Even my speech reflects this through the use of words such as "envision", "looks like", "appears" and "I see what you mean". In the description of typical roles it states artist, designer,photographer, inventor, etc. As a young child, I delighted in the notion of being an artist, and found the joy of creating things with my hands, using colors and textures to bring the project to life. I took high level art classes, and discovered the majority of artists do hont have viable incomes. The highly competitive students were bound for careers in advertising. Not being a competive type, I found creating gifts of handmade beauty to then give away to loved ones more rewarding. This further added value to the actual act of creating the project.

The interpersonal realm is one that I tend to spend a fair amount of time in. As an oncology nurse for many years, I have had the fortune of working with phenomenal patients. We have been able to form bounds to discuss very intimate issues. I have found this very rewarding over the years. Now in my newer role as Nurse Manager, I find myself removed from the bedside, and working with peers on interdiscilplinary project teams. Knowing that not everyone thinks like I do, I am careful when conducting meetings to try to include various dimensions. I often have a group activity to break the ice and start off with some energy.

1 comment:

Allen said...

very interesting indeed! I should try that and experiment with it as you did and see what the results are. I am sure you stumbled onto something... as I am certain your moods affect the manner and style of learning that you accomplish. Excellent discussion!