Friday, February 13, 2009

Module 2 Question 3

In this module I had the opportunity to use the CINAHL electronic index, the National Guideline Clearinghouse (NGC) index, and Google Scholar search engine.

As previously mentioned in an earlier response, I originally searched with PubMed. Given my topic (neutropenia and dietary restrictions) was more relevant to nursing I discovered CINAHL to be better suited for nursing interventions. The use of MeSH topics helped to further my search to include related subjects. I also liked the ease of use for even the most novice nurse to be albe to readily add to my folder and later choose to either export to ENDNOTE or email my self a copy of the text. I believe this index would be relative easy to refer to for frontline nurses.

In comparison, I found Google scholar did not provide me as much assistance in narrowing my search. I also felt there was less evidence of reliable research in this search engine. For example, I found it difficult to determine if entries were peer reviewed. Many of the links were books for purchase from a variety of vendors, and fewer entriess were linked to journal articles. This was a dissatisfier for me. I do not want to join a multitude of libraries, or pay for copies I may not find useful.

I was excited to discover the NGC. In our work setting we have unit-based clinical practice councils comprised of frontline nurses. Often, as a result of this forum, the nurses are given the task of performing a literatire review. It is a useful tool to have written guidelines for specific diseases, interventions, or national measures from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ). It was not so long ago I used to have to refer to specific AHRQ guidelines in multiple paperback books. Another thing I found user friendly about the NGC site was the ability to view the data in a simple outline form, clearly divided in sections which help identify the scope, methodology, supporting evidence, and even the risk vs benefits of the intervention. In addition, if you desire to discover what does a particular organization, such as the American Cancer Society recommend, you can even look up a guideline from their organization's posted list.

In summary, I am embarrassed to admit I was fearsul of this assignment, due to the difficulties I have experienced in the past with search engines. I recognize the need to be open to using a variety of electronic indexes and not limit myself to using only MEDLINE as I have done in the past. I further understand the way I set up the search strategy will determine the sensitivity of the result to context of a specific clinical problem. Narrowing the search using related topics, MeSH terms, and the correct index will retrieve relevant reference data.

No comments: