Thursday, February 12, 2009

Module 2 Question 1

Being a long time oncology nurse, I felt the need to research the question of whether or not dietary restrictions are effective for neutropenic patients. I originally searched PubMed, but discovered more nursing information was available on CINAHL. Having never used this index, I was challenged and found myself having to go back and forth to fully appreciate the value the advanced search options. I appreciated the first screen asking me what other libraries or sources of information I would like to search. I did not notice this the first two times I tried and couldn't figure out why there was no references, only to learn I was only searching "business" topics. Given my novice level with this index, my search was rather time consuming, but I believe this was due to my inexperience. I also found there was less information available than I had anticipated.

I believe this is an excellent index for use in daily practice for nurses. The other indexes I tried were not as helpful in finding literature on my subject. I also attempted a Google Scholar search, but found this more frustrating as there were less opportunities to narrow down the search to my defined population (neutropenic).

No comments: