1. Introduction:
A quick glance to my profile shows I am no "Spring chicken"! I have a keen interest in medical oncology and have chosen to work towards my master's degree in the Clinical Nurse Leader (CNL) program. As a nurse manager in the ever changing world of healthcare, I am acutely aware of the need for information management. Nurse leaders must not only value the use of information technology (IT), but also be able to understand how the nurses workflow can be changed (hopefully for the better) to allow more time to be spent with the patients.
2. IT in our clinical setting:
We are anxiously awaiting the "go-live" date (May 2nd) for our Computerized Provider Order Entry (CPOE) system. Last March the insitution had to pull the plug on the system the evening before our intended date of implementation. Recognizing the need to assure patient safety, the use of the computerized system for provider orders is our next giant step to eliminating unnecessary medical errors due to illegible handwriting, use of unappproved abbreviations, etc. About 20 months ago, nursing documentation was converted to electronic charting. This documentation allows for more standardized documentation through use of checklists whenever possible, with minimal narrative entries. This was a rather difficult transition initially, especially for those of us (aged 50 and up) who had mastered the paper forms. The hardest concept for the nurse to fully understand was the need to help us quantify patient outcomes. Once it was recognized that reports could be generated to assist with quality improvement initiatives, they have become less resistant to this change in their workflow.
Another thing we are doing is trying to become more and more "green" in our immediate work area. For example, instead of having multiple paper copies of our unit's newsletter or other notices, I am developing our own website which will provide a secured access for such private information as employee contact numbers. I have been helping staff utilize the functions of the electronic scheduling system so RNs can assist in self-scheduling on-line. Ridding ourselves of the paper copies of the everchanging unit schedule has improved staff morale due to reduced errors.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hi Shirley,
Sounds like you have quite a project on hand in your work place. In my own practice, I was in with a patient and we were looking at her previous lab results and other imaging studies. Labs are in a database form but not always updated by the MAs, I was toggling back and forth from labs at different dates and looking at imaging. The pt said to me that the 'good old days' of paper charts seemed like a nice idea about that minute! I certainly agree at times but would not want to go back there at all!
I, too, would love to see Machu Pichu.
Susan VanBeuge
I agree, I don't want to go back either. Currently, we are building a tool which will pull data points from multiple parts of the electronic medical record onto one summary sheet. The data would auto populate the identified information needed for oncology patients (VS, BSA, labs, tumor markers, chemo,etc.). This is an exciting way to allow providers in both inpatient and outpatient areas to keep updated on patients and their current status.
Post a Comment